The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) says a colleague who was injured when deadly Israeli strikes hit an airport in Yemen has been evacuated to Jordan.
Director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus was in Sanaa airport waiting to board a flight when it came under Israeli bombardment.
The UN air crew member suffered serious injuries in the attack, the WHO said, and was recovering in hospital.
Mr Ghebreyesus said on Friday that they had now been evacuated to Jordan, where they will receive further treatment.
They had been in the Yemeni capital to “negotiate for the release of detained colleagues”, he said.
He added: “Attacks on civilians and humanitarians must stop, everywhere.”
Israel’s military said it had hit multiple targets linked to the Iran-aligned Houthi movement in Yemen on Thursday – including Sanaa International Airport and three ports along the western coast.
Attacks hit Yemen’s Hezyaz and Ras Kanatib power stations as well as military infrastructure in the ports of Hodeidah, Salif and Ras Kanatib, Israel’s military added.
Local news outlet Al Masirah TV, run by the Houthis, said two people were killed in strikes at the airport, while one person was killed in the port strikes.
Houthi rebels have since fired a missile at Israel, which was intercepted by its air defences on Friday.
The Times focuses, external on Donald Trump's latest comments about the war in Ukraine. Its headline quotes the US president, who said Vladimir Putin was "doing
7 March 2025, 17:31 | Updated: 7 March 2025, 18:06 'This could end in Worl
The weather is expected to quickly change after a spell of sunshineThe Met Office has warned that "colder weather is on the way."(Image: Liverpool ECHO)It is fo
The Turkish-tinged creation by Boghall Butchers - which is celebrating its 50th year in business - won through in the newly-formed fusion category, which also f