There is no threat to jobs at a Newbridge on Wye sawmill, says the UK’s largest sawmilling company after it announced the closure of its Welshpool branch this week.
The closure of BSW Timber Solutions’ Welshpool sawmill, confirmed on Monday, December 9, will result in the loss of more than 40 jobs.
BSW said it was making the job cuts at the Severn Farm Industrial Estate in Welshpool, the base for its builders’ merchant supply business stream, following a consultation with employees in November; and after a review of operations recommended ceasing operations at the Powys sawmill.
BSW Timber Solutions also operates a sawmill just outside Newbridge-on-Wye, but the company insists there is no threat to the future of its employees there.
“There are no threats to jobs at our Newbridge site,” a spokesperson for BSW said.
“No other sites are impacted other than shifting the focus to our Melton site and Carlisle site as previously mentioned.”
There are currently 115 employees at the Newbridge site, although that number is due to rise to 145 after expansion plans were approved last October.
The new facilities will include a new drop sorter building and a new operations building which will increase the capacity and productivity of the business and create the first ‘super’ timber sawmill in Wales.
Lloyds Banking Group is planning to hire hundreds of engineers in India as the company plans to shift its employment opportunit
£1.6m Music Export Growth Scheme to support 58 independent UK artists to tour the world Funding will boost UK’s creative industries – a key growth se
A BELOVED restaurant chain has announced it will close eight venues across the UK, scrapping 158 jobs in the process.Owners are pointing the finger at Labour's
The latest figures published by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics today (7 March) came in below market expectations, with economists polled by