Earlier this month factory workers at Princes Food in Bradford, Wisbech, Long Sutton, Glasgow, and Cardiff walked out after the company reportedly ‘failed to provide an improved pay offer’.
Princes then confirmed last week that it had reached an agreement with the GMB for a three per cent rise for workers at two of its sites in Erith and Belvedere.
However, the food and drinks brand has claimed that ongoing pay disputes with Unite the Union at its factories – including the one on Tong Street in Bradford, Wisbech, Lincolnshire, Glasgow, and Cardiff – are ‘putting jobs at risk’.
Angelo Mastrolia, chairman of the board of directors of Princes, commented that if industrial action takes place again in February the company may transfer part of its operations overseas which could lead to a reduction of jobs at the UK sites.
He said: “Unite’s unrealistic and unjustified position is extremely harmful to our company and our colleagues in the UK.
“The three per cent pay offer is above the current rate of inflation and is fair and reasonable, considering the substantial annual above-inflation pay increases over the past five years.
“All options to maintain the sustainability and stability of the company must be considered. Should Unite confirm the strike scheduled for February, Princes will be forced to withdraw the three per cent offer.
“Furthermore, we will be compelled to transfer part of our branded production to other facilities, including those abroad, and if the strike action continues, this will likely become a necessary choice for the future, which could mean a need to reduce jobs at our UK sites.
“This is a very real risk, which benefits neither the workers nor the company.”
Workers at the Bradford factory walked out between January 6 and 8, and January 13 and January 15.
Unite previously said that members were striking due to previous pay offers having reportedly been revoked by Princes Foods’ new owners Newlat S.P.A.
Line operatives and engineers are said to have been offered between a four and seven per cent pay rise, dependent on salary, by previous owner Mitsubishi.
However, after the company was taken over Unite claims this offer was withdrawn and workers were instead offered a three per cent pay rise.
Unite has hit out at Princes’ latest statement branding it a “union-busting approach”.
Sharon Graham, Unite general secretary, said: “If Princes thinks its threats will weaken workers’ resolve it has another thing coming.
“First, it pulled the rug from under our members by reneging on a pay deal and now it is threatening their jobs with these union-busting tactics.
“Unite won’t stand for such tactics and will be backing our members every step of the way in their dispute.”
Lloyds Banking Group is planning to hire hundreds of engineers in India as the company plans to shift its employment opportunit
£1.6m Music Export Growth Scheme to support 58 independent UK artists to tour the world Funding will boost UK’s creative industries – a key growth se
A BELOVED restaurant chain has announced it will close eight venues across the UK, scrapping 158 jobs in the process.Owners are pointing the finger at Labour's
The latest figures published by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics today (7 March) came in below market expectations, with economists polled by