The expansion of Heathrow is highly controversial and faces opposition from environmental groups, some politicians, local authorities and nearby residents.
Some have argued that it will take much longer than a decade for a third runway to become reality.
A formal planning process has to take place, which could take between 18 months and two years. Any judicial review of the plan could take another year and a half, while actually building it could take about seven years.
Reeves has said she wants to see “spades in the ground” before 2029 and planes to start using the runway by 2035, but Mr Woldbye has previously warned the project would take years and need “Churchillian resolve” to deliver.
In his speech, the Heathrow boss will say the airport’s expansion plans will be carried out with “strict environmental safeguards”
“This project can only go ahead if we meet the rules on noise, air quality and carbon… it’s as simple as that,” he will add.
“I want to assure you that we are committed to listening and working with our local communities to provide them with the certainty they deserve, ending years of doubt.”
Heathrow currently handles £200bn worth of trade a year and provides a key avenue for exports, particularly for small and medium-sized businesses.
But Heathrow’s infrastructure is strained: last year, a record 83.9 million passengers passed through its terminals with its two runways handling around 1,300 landings and take-offs every day.
Flights from the airport are currently capped at a maximum of 480,000 per year and in practical terms it has reached that limit. A third runway would potentially increase the number of flights permitted to 720,000.
Get Nadine White's Race Report newsletter for a fresh perspective on the week's newsGet our free newsletter from The Independent's Race CorrespondentGet our fre
In a determined effort to retain Nissan’s manufacturing presence in Britain, Business Secretary Jonathan Reynolds has vowed to implement “substantial c
Business and Trade Secretary Jonathan Reynolds today (Friday 7 March) met chiefs for Fujitsu in Tokyo to begin talks over the cost of redress for victims of th
UK foreign secretary David Lammy has said that a new multilateral fund will be needed to secure Europe’s defence as he confirmed that Britain is “open to”